Velda Abram's New Post

Hello, TLC-Edmonton Training for Foreign Caregivers have a graduation every four months for all students that have taken and passed the course. They receive their certificate and transcript on stage in front of friends and sometimes even family. This is the first graduation class of 2016 with myself and my students.


Our Annual BBQ at Elk Island Park

Every year our class goes to Elk Island National Park for a BBQ and field trip. We always hope to see...


Sachi Goto

I graduated from TLC Edmonton in March,2012. After that, I worked as a Live-in Nanny for more than two...


I am from Japan and studied at TLC-Edmonton from June-November 2006 before starting work as a live-in nanny right after completing the course.


The Canadian In-home Caregiver Immigration Program

Why use the Canadian In-home Caregiver Program

The In-home Caregiver Program is the new pilot immigration program which in December 2014 replaced the former and very popular, Live-in Caregiver program. Under certain conditions it allows foreign workers who have worked for two years as caregivers (either under the "child-care stream" caring for children in their home or the "high-medical needs stream" caring for a senior or a person with a severe disabilty in his/her own home) to apply for Permanent Residence.

Program Requirements

To qualify for Permanent Residence as an In-home Caregiver you must meet all of these requirements:

2 years of full-time work experience with a valid work permit as a "home child care provider" or an "in-home caregiver for persons with high medical needs" under one of the occupations listed in the Canadian National Occupation Classifications (NOC) associated with providing care for children in their own home or a senior or a person with a disability in his or her home

One year of post-secondary education either completed in Canada or, if done abroad, assessed according to Canadian standards

Proficiency in English or French proven by obtaining a Canadian Language benchmark 5 on an approved language test taken within the past two years

Good health

Work Permit:

To qualify for an "In-home Caregiver" work permit you will need

An employment contract with your employer

Local goverment approval (an LMIA)

Proof that you are qualified to do the job

Proof of completion of the upfront medical examination

Proof of ability to communicate in one of Canada's official language

Canadian Citizenship:

To qualify for Canadian Citizenship you must have:

proof that you have resided in Canada for at least 3 years in the past four years

a passing mark on the Citizenship test proving that you have adequate knowledge of Canada and the rights and responsibilities of citizenship

proven proficiency in one of Canada's two official languages

proof that you are not criminally inadmissable


How we can help

We offer a government accredited, Canadian based, training course that:

  • prepares you to work as a caregiver in Canada,
  • increases your chances of getting a job,
  • helps to qualify you to apply for a work permit.

Additionally, we help with:

  • your initial entry into Canada, including assisting you with finding friendly accommodation,
  • improving your English language skills,
  • filling out forms,
  • immigration counselling,
  • and preparing you to get your first work permit.

We specialize in training caregivers and have prepared many people to work legally in Canada and to become permanent residents (testimonials). 

We have helped many Canadians find a much needed caregiver.  If you're considering hiring a caregiver under the In-home Caregiver Program check out employer requirements and job listings.

If you have any questions about our services or the In-home Caregiver Program that isn't covered on this website you can post it on our questions and answers page or contact us.